Saturday 14 June 2014

No man can wipe out Christians from Nigeria—Archbishop Margaret Idahosa


Dr. Margaret E. Benson-Idahosa

Presiding Archbishop of the Church of God Mission Int’l, Margaret Benson-Idahosa, was in Lagos last week for her annual Christian Women Fellowship International- CWFI Ladies-in-Waiting conference. Mama, as she is fondly called, fielded questions on national issues such as the prolonged abduction of the now famous Chibok girls, President Jonathan’s approach to the kidnap and why Nigerians must not lose faith, particularly on the basis of revelations shown her concerning the nation.
How does it feel to be in Lagos once again for yet another Ladies-in-Waiting conference?

I feel excited because I have passion for women. Women pass through a lot of things that people do not see.

They only see the outward beauty believe that is all there is to womanhood. So, coming together like this gives us the platform to cry unto God who alone answers prayers. That’s why I get excited each time it’s due for me to come to Lagos for the Ladies in-Waiting conference.

What do you hope these women will return home with?

I expect inner peace for every one of them; the peace no man can give. Secondly, I want them to achieve confidence in God, that he is able to do all he has promised. He’s done it before for others, and He will do it again.

Talking about building an ambience of peace in women; peace is lacking in the hearts of Nigerian women as we speak, by reason of the prolonged abduction of the over 200 Chibok school girls…
(Cuts in)By the grace of God, under the aegis of Mothers of the Nation, women are coming together to pray by the end of this month at the Tafawa Balewa Square in Lagos.

This is to cry unto God as mothers in the nation, whether Muslim, Christian, Atheist or whatever. Every woman, irrespective of religion, is expected to participate in that prayer session, as long as a child has passed through her birth canal. Only women can well understand this pain because they know the pain of child conception and bearing.

I see people on television, wearing red and shouting “Bring Back Our Girls”, but I tell you, I can see politics in that. That’s why we as mothers of this nation are coming together to pray. I can even imagine the pains of mothers who have more than one child among those girls! I believe in corporate prayers and that’s why we’re gathering women from all religion and race together for this; and God will not ignore us because as women, we are warriors. In the same vein, if all churches can come together as one on this, I tell you, God will hear us.

As a woman of God, do you foresee the release of these girls?

Yes, I do. I believe emphatically that those girls will be released.

What words of consolation do you have for their parents?

I met with some of the parents last week, after finding out where they are. I went there and made them to understand they are not alone in this because these girls are our children as well. We gave them what we had and prayed with them. It’s so painful; these parents told a story that cannot be retold because of its trauma.

The leader of Boko Haram has vowed to wipe out all Christians from this country; isn’t that a huge threat to the survival of your religion and the God you serve?

My dear, I don’t see it as a threat because no one can kill God. How can any man kill the same God that owns the breath running through his nostril? We can’t wipe out Muslims and they too cannot wipe out Christians because Nigeria has freedom of worship. I tell you, no man, born of woman, can wipe out Christianity from this nation.

What advice do you have for Mr.President at this time?

We’re praying for him because we understand very well that uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. I have over five million members in this nation, but when we come together to take decision, there are challenges; not to talk of the president of a whole nation. What we owe President Goodluck Jonathan is prayers because God gave him to us and we must understand that in every ruler, there is the hand of God. So, we must lift him up in prayer every day so that God can listen to the cry of this nation.

What’s your take on the lambasting he has received from different quarters over his government’s untimely response to the kidnap?

They should put themselves in his shoes. He’s the head of a nation, a husband and father to children. When a leader hears things like that, he doesn’t just rush in. Otherwise, you spoil a lot of things. I’m a leader in my own right. Most times, things happen in different states and they rush into my office for solution. I calm them down and tell them to let us pray first and hear from God. And believe me, that often takes some time.

For instance, when I first came into this pom Godosition, all the other Bishops were putting pressure on me to appoint an assistant. I told them to allow me pray to God and get His direction. But do you know that two weeks into that prayer I didn’t hear Jack fr? The pestering continued but I did not yield despite my state of mind as a young, bereaved woman. The point is, as a leader, you don’t rush into things no matter the pressure around you.

JOSEPHINE IGBINOVIA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Us Your Mind::

Name

Email *

Message *